Thursday, March 28, 2024

Week 3

This week, I read chapter 5.  Chapter 5 is all about Knowledge and Reasoning.  In this chapter, the authors discussed the importance of prior knowledge for scaffolding and retaining new knowledge.  I chose ISTE standard 1.3.b because it is important for students to be able to think critically about the information that they are reading and not just assume that it is true.  People often fall into the trap that "because it's on the internet, it must be true."  However, we have to look at things like logic, the authors credentials and reliability, as well as how the website/supplier of the information is funded.  When connecting this chapter to the article from Gura, I thought about all the creative ways that students can demonstrate their knowledge and reasoning.  In our technology driven worlds, we have infinite ways for students to show their learning.  However, we often fall into a routine of worksheets and tests rather than dioramas, wax museums, or presentations.  Gura encourages readers to embrace creativity in all subjects, rather than just art.  Creativity is a dying trait that we need to let flourish in our students.

 

4 comments:

  1. My blog isn't letting me edit this post so here are my references:

    References

    Gura, M. (2020). Fostering Student Creativity. EdTech Digest the State of the Arts, Creativity, and Technology 2020: A Guide for Educators and Parents. p. 7.

    ISTE Standards for Educators (2017). Retrieved from: https://www.iste.org/standards/for-educators

    National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2018). How people learn II: Learners, contexts, and cultures. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press. http://doi.org/10.17226/24783.

    Rivero, V. (2020). A Whole New Class of Art. EdTech Digest the State of the Arts, Creativity and Technology 2020: A Guide for Educators and Parents. p. 12-20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chloe,
    I like your infographic! I like how you collected your thoughts, and I was able to follow along with them as I read your pages. I also discussed connections to Chapter 5, and I wrote about a couple connections that are different from the ones your chose, but I remember the things you chose as well. You mention that people too often believe that, because it is on the internet, it must be true. In my world, I have noticed that has moved even farther from reality so that many people believe that if something is on Facebook or Twitter, it must be true. Even more, many believe that if they cannot find it on Facebook or Twitter, then it cannot be true. In the end, I have found that people like to be told what to think. We have become such a socially connected society that we seldom enjoy thinking for ourselves. We would rather think what others think than be right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe, I love that you summarized the entire chapter in one infographic. This is very helpful for someone wanting to see which chapters of the book would best address the questions that they have and would help when revisiting the work to refresh one's memory. Your organization is phenomenal. I also loved that one of your key takeaways was the importance of background knowledge. As someone whose students are about 1/3 English Language Learners, I am very passion about the importance of calling on a student's prior knowledge. This is imperative when making connections in language and vocabulary retention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chloe - your infographic is wonderful! I think it is very catchy and would assist visual learners in comprehending pertinent information. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Week 5

 Summary of Article:          This week I read the article "Universal Design for Learning: Scanning for Alignment in K-12 Blended and F...